Thursday, June 16, 2011

Completely Biased List of The Top 30 Music Videos Of All Time - Number 29 - Drive by The Cars


Onto Number 29...

First all of all, I'd like to say congratulations to city of Vancouver who was amazingly able to destroy the reputation that had of being a very underrated city to take a vacation in a matter of a few hours and 100 injuries. I thought all Canadians had gentle souls who enjoyed ice fishing and a good wood burning stove. Apparently they can riot with the best of them as well.

Congrats to the Boston Bruins on winning the Stanley Cup. It figures that since I've met my New England born and bred wife, she has won 3 Super Bowls, 2 World Series, an NBA Championship, and now a Stanley Cup. That slightly overshadows the one NLCS the Mets have and the 2 AFC Championship games the Jets made. Did I mention I also root for the Knicks (scandal ridden decade with Isiah Thomas driving the team into ground) and the Islanders (one playoff appearance and I dare you to name five players that played for them the past ten years)?

If I sound depressed its because of my number 29 choice for the best video of all time..."Drive" by the Cars.

"Drive" makes me sad for the main reason that the person singing this song passed away from pancreatic cancer back in 2000. He's Ben Orr, bassist for the Cars, and one of the first songs I ever learned to play on bass was another song he sang, "Just What I Needed". I always liked his voice and of course the Cars were an underrated band.

Anyway, this video appears to take place in an insane asylum. Ben seems to be just chilling out in a large lounge area singing about who's going to help out his loved one during her time of need. During the video you meet Paulina Porizkova who I only know through three things...

1.) She married the other lead singer of the Cars Ric Okasek
2.) She was on Dancing with The Stars a couple of years ago.
3.) She was in the immortal classic 80's movie "Her Alibi" with Tom Selleck.

Anyway, let's take a look...



0:15 - 0:48 Ahhh yes, the legendary Ben Orr. I like the black and white style of this video. I do not like Ben's perm.

0:49 - 1:00 Hello Paulina...her right leg looks longer than the rest of her body...yummy. By the way, that's pretty impressive abstract art she is putting together there.

1:00 - 1:10 Ben looks uncomfortable in his chair.

1:11 -1:25 Ah yes, Ric Okasek. He wrote every Cars song even though he doesn't sing on all of them. I love the angry look he gives here. I'm not sure what he's accomplishing by yelling at her and giving her dirty looks throughout the video. She's already certifiably insane I guess as this point.

1:26-1:35 I really have no idea what's going on here. That is some good miming though. Was the asylum a converted diner?

1:52 - 1:55 - If I gave my wife this look, I'd be sleeping outside.

1:55 - 2:15 - One last look at Ben and strangely enough he disappears for the rest of the video...oh well.

2:15 - 2:35 My 2nd favorite part of the video. I was away last weekend with some friends of mine and one of them got into a HUGE argument with his girlfriend on the phone...but the funny thing was he dominated her. She was the one all upset and he stayed cool as a cucumber. I couldn't help but think of this scene here had they been in the same room together.

2:35-3:05 Paulina shows off her acting skills. I can hear the director barking out orders ("Do happy! Now do sad! Now do crazy!") Was this segment what landed her the costarring role in "Her Alibi"?

3:05-3:25 - My favorite part of the video...wax figures of the band...I'm not sure why I love this so much but I do. Actually I'm not sure if those are wax figures our not. I think they are. I wonder what a wax figure of me would look like...probably scary.

3:27 - end : One last long closing shot of Paulina....and fade to black.

BONUS PAULINA

Amazingly, there are many scenes from "Her Alibi" on YouTube. Here's one of my favorites.

No comments: