Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Top 30 Videos Of All Time - Number 30 - "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver"



I'm back...for now.

Growing up in the 1980's and 1990's, I watched a lot of MTV and then a lot of VH1. Whether it was just a mish mash of videos or in VH1's case, Sex Symbols, I think I've seen nearly every video made between 1981 and 1995 at least once. When I went away to college, MTV became a lot more teeny bopperish and VH1 became reality TV central though they did have those juicy "Behind The Music" specials on just about every relevant band from the 70's and 80's.

Anyway, I have started a ritual where I escape into the past every couple weeks or so by watching old videos on Youtube or even ordering video collections on Amazon.com. Each video takes me back to a time in my youth where either the song or the video brings back memories. This top 30 is going to be made up on the fly. Though I already know what my top 3 will be, the other 27 pretty much fall into a tie. Each video has something special, whether its over the top acting, a group dancing sequence, or just bizarre occurrences.

The first video is definitely one of the more bizarre ones...Primus's Wynona's Big Brown Beaver. This came out my senior year of high school and it pretty much blew my mind. Based on those weird Duracell battery commercials around the same time, it shows Primus dressed up in oversized plastic(?) cowboy outfits. The song is a good song made better by the video...



Some of my favorite personal highlights...

0:17 - had I been 7 years old and not 17 at the time this video came out, this part would have given my nightmares.

0:24 - Something about them walking makes me laugh everytime.

0:45- If not for the cue cards, I'd have no idea what this song is about. I still really don't know what this song is about and yes, I'm aware of the sexual connotations of a "beaver".

1:20-1:23 - One of my all time famous bass fills

2:24 - I will learn this dance move to use at a wedding at some point.

After going through the video, there are a lot of highlights. Les Claypool is one hell of a bass player...love the riffing at the end. The rest of the video is mainly full of a lot of absurdity but then again absudity is in my DNA.

No comments: