Monday, December 15, 2008

Top 7 Christmas Songs: Today 7-2



Christmas season is upon us and God help us who are stuck in offices forced to listen to holiday music all day every day. I really think that the easiest way to become a millionaire is to write a holiday song or a children's book. The royalties must be HUGE. Just think, Andrew Ridgely from Wham probably makes more money from that "Last Christmas...I gave you my heart" song than anything he did in Wham. There are a few songs that I do like and hopefully you've heard of them.

7.) Frank Sinatra's "Happy Holidays" - At least I think that's the name of the song. Its the song where he goes "and doop-dee-doo and hickory-DOCK". I'm a sucker for old school 50's music and this one covers the gambit. Old school female choir-sounding like background singers, a full blown orchestra, and bombast singing. Frank may be dead, but the best of what he represents lives on in this song.

6.) Celine Dion's "O Holy Night" - This is probably my favorite Christmas song and like many of them, there have been tons of different versions. The only reason I put the Celine Dion version on here is because I just heard it last night. Two reasons I love this song. 1.) Not many songs have the lyric "Faaaaall on your kneeeeees"...I giggle when I think of people singing that line. 2.) The huge note at the end of the song...I can't make out the words but it always gives me chills.

5.) Andy Williams's "Its The Most Wonderful Time Of Year" - This song just oozes the holiday season and Andy Williams, a good singer of standards to begin with, sounds pretty good. I like the richness in his voice and if I could put that richness on a Reese's peanut butter cup sundae, it would taste even better.

4.) The Jackson 5's "Up On The House Top" - This is a sentimental value one for me as you don't hear it that often on the radio. I liked it since I played it in 5th grade concert band. This version is a little frantic, even for the 70's Motown sound of the Jackson 5. Little Michael sounds smooth here.

3.) John Lennon's "Happy XMAS (War is Over) - I used to hate this song but heard it a few times in the last couple of weeks and have fallen in love with it. Lennon sounds so good here and the lyrics are very relevant today as well. Of course he trades line with Yoko Ono who basically shrieks and screams her lines. At least they add children to help her out with the lines. She makes Lennon sound really good when he starts singing his parts. I have to admit that its odd a nice catholic fellow like John Lennon would take the "Christ" out of "Christmas".

2.) I'm going to save myself a lot of time but posting the link to this song that I've already talked about. Use it as a guide the next time you here it...it will really open your eyes and make you slightly more popular at your Christmas party.

http://hungieman.blogspot.com/2008/10/charity-singles-of-1980s-part-one-do.html


I'll be back tomorrow...yes I promise, tomorrow...with my number 1 song. It needs its own breakdown and not just a little summary.

No comments: