Monday, December 22, 2008

Worst Christmas Song Of Time


Last week I touched on my favorite Christmas songs. Today, I want to speak briefly about my least favorite. Everybody should know it...or at least know the first few notes of it. It sounds like Satan bouncing a ball in the darkest shadows of Hades. Everyone should immediately run when they hear it. Welcome to the dirge known as "Wonderful Christmas Time" by Sir Paul McCartney.

Obviously this song has some decent quality to it since its been in regular rotation of holiday music the past 20 years. Written by McCartney around 1979, its really just two lines of two slightly different songs linked together by that "BUMP....boing boing boing" sound. I never knew there was a video for this song but there is and it definitely needs to be commented on.



The video has to be one of the darkest videos I've seen (it may be due to the poor video quality at the time). Regardless, this video has a lot of random moments:

:15-:21 - Some odd animation flies out of a TV show that two old guys are watching. Can't tell what the purpose of this is. Reminds me of that movie "Shocker" when a serial killer murders people by coming out of their electrical outlets and televisions.

:25 - 1:00 - The happiest E, I mean Christmas party I've ever seen.

1:13-1:16 - Its three angels that look like the Ramones.

1:17 - 1:25 - More random animation of Paul and Linda being watched by the real Paul and Linda. I like how you can't see what the animations are doing with their hands...something implicit? Their heads sort of move oddly too. My mind is in the gutter, I know.

1:27 - 1:31 - A bad outtake from the original Superman movie with a few flying objects.

1:32 - A horse painted in black light?

1:53 - Two Paul McCartney's for the price of one. Even better is the computer generated fire burning behind them.

2:00- Paul and his friends start a bonfire somewhere and dance around it with their instruments.

2:07 - Paul should know better in that you don't take the "Christ" out of "Christmas"

2:47 - One of the worst guitar solos ever.

3:00 - Is that Robert Deniro?

Ugh, I give up...this video blows more than the song itself.

No comments: