Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Speak and Spell


Before there were learning tools like Leapfrog and Blues Clues, there was the Speak and Spell series of mini computers. Featuring the most awesome computer generated voice ever, this took America by storm back in the late 70's and early 80's.

I can't remember if I had a Speak and Spell but I know I had a Speak and Read as well as a Speak and Math. I'm not sure if I really learned anything using them but I sure loved that lovable voice and weird chirping noises it would make when you turned them on and off.

There's an emulator online that allows you to play with one. I messed around with it for a few minutes and forgot how hard it was to understand what words the computer voice wanted you to spell. I also had some fun spelling words like "boobies", "f*ck", and "Johan Santana".

Check it out here.

http://www.speaknspell.co.uk/speaknspell.html

I leave you with a classic commercial for Speak and Spell. I guess Bill Cosby must have been on hard times between his Fat Albert and Picture Pages days to his huge success with the The Cosby Show in the late 80's. Good stuff.


1 comment:

Kerri Rianna Murphy said...

I totally had one Dave! I LOVED his voice! I got it for Christmas one year... You crack me up!

Did you ever have an ALPHIE? It was a blue robot looking thing that spoke similar to the speak n spell guy!