Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Wedding Songs


I was at a wedding over the weekend (hence, the lack of new posts) and had a blast. It got me thinking that there are usually the same ten songs played at every single wedding. Sometimes the wedding couple will have certain songs excluded from the DJ playlist (and any DJ dumb enough to play the "Macarena" these days should lose his DJ license). Here are probably the top 10 "cliche wedding" songs that I've personally heard at weddings over the years (including my own). In no particular order.

10.) "Dancing Queen" by ABBA - It really depends on how many drinks I've had at a wedding by the time this song comes on to determine if I like it. If I'm sober or hear this song on the radio, I can't stand it. After 8 beers, I'm simulating the piano part. I did indeed have this song on the "do not play" list at my wedding because I would rather have heard Johnny Kemp's "Just Got Paid" which was actually played at my wedding.

9.) "Love Shack" by the B-52s - Another wedding staple during the wild dancing section. People over 50 and under 20 must cringe when this song comes on but the 21-49 demographic either loves it or hates it. I'm on the hating side a bit but its mainly because I'm sober right now. Put a few beers in me and I might be out there shouting the unintelligible line the girl screams at the breakdown...something like "heeeeeroooo....rusted"

8.) "The Twist" by Chubby Checker - This one gets the over 50 crowd back as they will hit the dance floor and be the only people who actually know how to do the twist. Also allows the dirty old men the opportunity to mingle on the dance floor with the bridesmaids and hot cousins.

7.) "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong - Sometimes this song is actually a couple's wedding song. A nice slow quick song that strictly platonic friends dance with without any worry that one of the platonic friends has a major crush for the other trying to make the move. The words are very simple. I will remember this song more for a commercial about an anti-litter campaign for NYC back in the 80's.

6.) "Living On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi- Tommy and Gina's story always seems to get 90% of the crowd off their feet. A nice buildup to a blue collar like story followed by a great bridge stating that you really do need to hold to what you've got. The soaring chorus is a perfect singalong for young children and their great grandparents alike. We are always almost halfway there, living on a prayer.

5.) "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard - almost as big as "Living On A Prayer" but slightly harder to dance to because the hammer style beat it has. If one listens the lyrics closely, you feel different the next time you shout out the words while dancing with your aunt Betty.

4.) "Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC - The beginning beat and guitar riff is perfect and I've seen a lot of air guitaring to this song. When I was little I didn't quite understand the "I was ready to come but she was already there" line but I sure do now. Another great chorus for people to sing along too.

3.) "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey - This song got very popular at parties the last five-ten years and is almost a staple at weddings but you'll still find a few where its not played. Anyway, this is currently my favorite song played at a wedding (at least until "Nights On Broadway" by the Bee Gees becomes popular). Steve Perry's voice is like peanut butter sauce on a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup sundae.

2.) "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton - This song is slowly stating to fizzle out of weddings as I don't recall hearing it much anymore. It usually played towards the end of the wedding as a slow song so the drunk single people can potentially find someone to hook up with.

1.) "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond - This song has been grating on me for years even if I am pretty wasted by the time this song is played. A goofy song about touching people and of course Caroline being sweet, everybody love to sing the "bum bum bum" part talking about how good times have never felt so good....so good....so good.

Honorable mentions:
YMCA (dance move songs aren't as popular as they used to be)
Staying Alive (now that the disco crowd is not getting married anymore, this song isn't heard much anymore)
Holiday (Madonna's first party hit is getting very popular these days)
Can't Help Falling In Love With You (keeps Elvis's relativeness alive)
Wanna Be Starting Something/Rock With You/Don't Stop Till' You Get Enough/P.Y.T (every wedding features at least one Michael Jackson song but it usually varies among those four.)

Songs you never want to hear at a wedding:
Separate Ways by Journey
Baby Come Back by Player
Crazy Bitch by Buckcherry
Goodnight Saigon by Billy Joel
Black by Pearl Jam
In My Time Of Dying - Led Zeppelin

No comments: