Friday, September 5, 2008

Tidbits


Some thoughts/ramblings as weekend (and tropical storm Hannah) approaches.

1.) Caught most of the first episode of the new 90210 Tuesday night and it was pretty dreadful. A lot of plot lines are far fetched (at least I hope they are or I will NEVER send my kids to high school). It was nice in a way to see Kelly and Brenda again although they were not wearing their bikinis or swim suits they wore during the summer of the second season...a shame. My wife said it best when the new characters looked like they were trying to match the weight of the Chinese gymnastics team...showing off your hip bones is not attractive.

2.) I saw most of Sarah Palin's speech on Wednesday night and thought it was pretty good. Her pregnant daughter's boyfriend did NOT want to be there that's for sure. There's something endearing about her but of course can she lead the country...who knows.

3.) Killing time last weekend, I saw the movie "Pineapple Express". Since I'm not a pot smoker, I pounded three beers before going to see it and the first half hour was really funny. After the main plot kicked in though, it was terrible...one of the worst 60 minutes of film I've seen since Enchanted, though I only gave Enchanted 45 minutes before turning it off. I recommend this movie only if you're completely lit or allowed to continue to drink beers while watching the movie.

4.) I'm currently rewatching Seasons 1 and 2 of Heroes (hence the lack of movie updates and reviews). What a great show and its fun to watch them 3 or 4 episodes at a time. I'll admit that Season 2 wasn't nearly as good as Season 1 but Season 3 looks to be pretty promising. Hopefully it will rebound like Lost did. Speaking of Lost, I have yet to see a single episode but anytime a preview or commercial comes on ABC, my wife and I look away or change the channel. Someday we'll catch up although I think we have to watch 60 episodes which will take us to 2012 due to our busy schedules.

5.) I'll leave you with a top 5 list. My favorite pop icons with the name "Lange"

5.) Robert John Lange aka "Mutt" Lange - Recent ex-husband of Shania Twain, he produced some of the best 80's albums of all time (Back In Black by AC/DC, Pyromania and Hysteria by Def Leppard, as well music by The Cars and Bryan Adams)

4.) Jessica Lange - Academy Award winning actress, she is one half of one the more "tasteful" sex scenes I remember growing up in "The Postman Always Rings Twice"...he sure did in this movie!

3.) Ted Lange - He was the bartender, Issac, on the Love Boat. Although I can't recall sitting through a single episode of this show, he's become a bit of an iconic figure over the years.

2.) Artie Lange - I am a huge fan of the Howard Stern show and think that Artie is hilarious although he's the only 40 year old person that there is a death watch for. He continues to bring laughter to all despite being prone to fits of anger and his trouble overcoming a raging heroin addiction.

1.) Jim Lange - The name may not be famous but he was the host of one of my two favorite game shows growing up. The first was Bullseye which actually frightened me because of look of the rainbow colored swirling bullseyes themselves during the game. He also hosted "Name That Tune" which turned me on to music. That's one game I'd love for them to bring back. The recent "Don't Forget The Lyrics" is okay but nothing beat the contestant "bid-a-note" showdown saying:
"Alfred, I can name that tune in 4 notes"
"Diana, I can name that tune in 2 notes"
"Alfred, name that tune"

Here's an example of the above. I'll admit, the guy is pretty obnoxious. I won't say who wins in the end but it gets pretty heated. That's why Jim Lange was so great, he keeps the game moving along.



I love the shot of hand playing the notes and I wouldn't have gotten the first song even though its very popular...good stuff.

No comments: